Core Sound to Celebrate 25 Years
Beginning Waterfowl Weekend 2016, the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center will begin a year-long celebration of its history, accomplishments and vision for the next 25 years. Planning and research for this milestone has been underway since early this year and plans are shaping up. You will be amazed at what YOU – OUR MEMBERS - have done! Consider this a COMMUNITY BIRTHDAY PARTY that lasts all year long! Here’s a preview …
Projects will include:
- Main Gallery Exhibition: “Core Sound’s Story” opening December 2016, featuring artifacts of Core Sound’s rich waterfowling history, honoring our heritage carvers, exploring Core Sound’s communities and their traditions and memorabilia from Core Sound 25 years.
- A Video Documentary “They Said We couldn’t Do It” (This is our working title for interviews and editing of past oral histories, highlights from significant accomplishments during our history and visits with the key people who have made this museum a reality. This will released at the Summer Taste of Core Sound in August.
- 25th Anniversary Yearbook: Our 2016 yearbook will revisit the history and people of the CSWM&HC with a timeline of the work that has led to our successes.
Anniversary Events Schedule:
- Taste of Core Sound – February 24 – Honoring the Core Sound Decoy Carvers Guild and their vision
- Core Sound Run – April 1
- King Mackerel & the Blues are Running – April 6-7-8 (Joslyn Hall, Carteret Community College, Morehead City)
- Core Sound Day: Rig of Six, Kent Hood Competition, Music, Arts & Crafts, Children’s Activities
- Core Sound’s All-American Fish Fry – Honoring our Active Military and Veterans
- Taste of Core Sound – August 25 – “What Have We Done?”
Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center
Today, the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center “at the end of the road” operates year round as a museum, educational facility, regional archive, meeting place for the community and a destination for heritage tourism travelers.
In 2017 as the 25-year mark approaches, the need for preserving Down East history, honoring traditions and sharing our stories is more important than ever. Core Sound’s commitment to the region continues to grow and strengthen through the daily celebration of our living traditions and the safekeeping of our community treasures and stories, interpreted by the local community in the context of place-based science education for learners of all ages. Our vision for community sustainability and economic opportunities throughout the Core Sound region continues to expand through partnerships and collaborations statewide.
This institution’s history and its role in the community today is an amazing example of what hard work, local investment and community vision can accomplish. The Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center is the tangible outcome of thousands of talented, generous people giving, working, believing in the value of Core Sound’s heritage ~ this place, our people, and our way of life.
Every weekend is important to the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center but the first weekend of December remains the centerpiece of its year-round programming and events. “Waterfowl Weekend adds all the other elements of our heritage to the weekend celebration,” reflected Pam Davis Morris, Community Resources Coordinator for the Core Sound Museum. “The Decoy Festival at the school remains the starting place for the weekend, but the Museum gives visitors the opportunity to experience the entire community and our history and traditions including boatbuilding, traditional music, quilting and community exhibits.”
Core Sound Waterfowl Weekend, December 3-4 (with a Preview Gala on Friday Evening, Dec 2) will usher in a year-long celebration to honor the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center’s 25th Anniversary.
Events and activities throughout the weekend include:
Core Sound’s 25th Anniversary “Core Sound Story” Exhibition Grand Opening
Carving demonstrations, boatbuilding and education displays from regional partners
Community exhibitions telling the story of Down East’s local communities
Retriever demonstrations along the shores of Core Sound
Special music throughout the weekend
Core Sound’s Museum Store featuring a wide selection of carvings, art, photography, pottery, model boats, NC foods and heritage-based gift items.